FARMERS AND MERCHANTS BANK
401 S. Main Street
Morgan and Walls, 1905
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #271
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Designed in the Classical Revival style, the Farmers and Merchants Bank remains one of Southern California's finest examples of the early "temples of finance" which were popular at the turn of the century. Its two-story facade, reminiscent of a Roman temple, is punctuated by an entrance framed with Corinthian columns topped by a large triangular pediments. Built in 1905, the bank was designed by the firm of Morgan and Walls.
The Farmers and Merchants Bank was the first incorporated bank in Los Angeles, founded in 1871 by Isaias W. Hellman, a successful merchant, real estate speculator and banker, and brother of Hermann W. Hellman. Isaias was to remain president of the bank till his death in 1920.
Much of the original banking room remains, including light fixtures, a central skylight, and the loggia with its Victorian-style railings. Operating as a bank until its closure in the late 80s, the building now functions primarily a as a special events and banquet facility, and film location.