Glendale County Building
Currently home to Superior and Municipal Courts, the Glendale County Building was designed by local architect Arthur Wolfe with landscaping by Arthur G. Barton.
The 1959 building ’s modern design incorporates contrasting materials and forms, as seen in the brick serpentine wall that stretches along Broadway between a solid rectangular volume of architectural concrete panels on one side and one of transparent glass on the other. Other distinctive elements include the stepped entrance canopy that follows the sloping grade, the undulating underside of the T-shaped building’s elevated rear wing, integrated planting beds, and the landscaped courtyard at the eastern end of the site.
The north façade contains a site-specific ceramic sculpture by George Stanley depicting the ideals of liberty, freedom and justice under the law. Significant interior elements include the terrazzo flooring, floating staircase, large chandeliers with upright lamps, and the exposed interior of the serpentine brick wall with curved wood benches following the wall’s contours. Architect Arthur Wolfe also designed the 1959 County Heath Center and the redesign of Maple Park in 1966, both in Glendale, among other projects across Southern California.
The Glendale County Building has long been recognized as an important example of mid-century office design, and was included in the Conservancy Modern Committee’s 2002 tour “Your Government in Glendale.”