Hunt Residence | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Hunt Residence

This sprawling, one-story residence was designed by master architect Paul R. Williams for the recently widowed Nellie Payton Hunt, whose late husband Willis G. Hunt had been a prominent paper company executive.  Located in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Brentwood, the house is set back from the street by a circular driveway and surround by lush landscaping and mature trees.  The house’s layout features angled wings projecting from the four corners of the home’s central rectangular portion.  These projecting rooms create a series of outdoor spaces that connect to the house’s interior via large windows and French doors.

Designed in the Traditional Ranch style with Regency Revival detailing, the house is an example of the early, transitional period of the Ranch style that served as a precursor to the postwar version that was popularized throughout Southern California and beyond.  The house features a low hipped and gabled roof and multi-paned windows accented by shutters.  The entrance portico, with its semicircular canopy and brick paving, reflects the house’s Regency Revival detailing.  Cast iron detailing includes foliated posts supporting the entrance canopy of the front porch and lattice-patterned grillwork framing the delicate columns along the rear covered patio.

The living room, which makes up the central rectangular portion, features built-in shelving and cabinet space in the form of arched corner niches, while the dining room features painted silk wallpaper on each wall.  Despite minor interior and exterior alterations to materials, the Hunt Residence retains a high degree of integrity.

Photo courtesy Architectural Resources Group

Airform "Bubble House"

Met with mixed reviews upon its construction but since lauded by scholars and critics alike, this dome-shaped dwelling was considered by architect Wallace Neff to be the perfect solution to the mid-twentieth century global housing crisis.
Photo courtesy Architectural Resources Group

Sheats Apartments

Completed in 1949, the building was designed by master architect John Lautner as eight units of student housing. Asymmetrically arranged shapes, from circular volumes to long, flat planes, step up the hill and around each other to form a strangely harmonious, abstractly futuristic, and truly organic-feeling whole.
Woodside
Photo courtesy Architectural Resources Group

Woodside

A distinctive collection of rambling, horizontally oriented Contemporary Ranch buildings on curvilinear streets, Woodland Hills' Woodside neighborhood was completed in 1959 and remains a wonderfully intact postwar neighborhood.