Leuzinger High School
Located on Rosecrans Avenue near Hawthorne Boulevard in the South Bay city of Lawndale, Leuzinger High School opened in 1930 in what was then a largely agricultural setting. It is the oldest of the three high schools in the Centinela Valley Union High School District.
The school acquired a distinctive identity soon after opening: in return for providing staging facilities for aspects of the 1932 Summer Olympics held in Los Angeles, the school was authorized to use the Olympic rings and motto as its emblem.
In addition to Leuzinger High School’s cultural association with the Olympics, several of the buildings on campus are architecturally distinct and represent different periods of growth in the school’s development through the postwar era.
Some of the buildings on campus were designed by noted Southern California architect T. C. Kistner, who for a time served as the official architect for the San Diego School Board. These include the Main Building (1930, later remodeled) and a PWA Moderne girls’ gymnasium (1937) that was financed in part through a Public Works Administration grant.
Postwar prosperity brought significant expansion to the Leuzinger High School campus with the construction of several new buildings and a modernization of the school’s Main Building (1955). New construction included the boys’ gymnasium (1957), which features exposed, structural arches, and the distinctive finger buildings (1948-56) that were demolished in 2011.