North Spring Street Viaduct
The North Spring Street Viaduct is one of the historic bridges spanning the Los Angeles River.
Construction on the viaduct began in 1927, seventeen years after the completion of the adjacent North Main Street Bridge and North Broadway Bridge. Designed by John C. Shaw, the crossing was built to relieve traffic along the North Broadway Bridge. Its design was intended to complement the classical motif of these two earlier works, linking the three spans as a thematic sub-group that connects Lincoln Heights to downtown Los Angeles.
The reinforced concrete viaduct rests on three large vertical piers forming two elegant arch spans.
The deck features a sculpted concrete railing with incised rounded arches between decorative lamp posts, each topped by an octagonal-shaped lantern.
The bridge was widened in 1939 with the removal of the southern sidewalk. In 1992, along with retrofitting, extensive repairs where made to the viaduct's distinctive balusters, electroliers, and railings. The viaduct was designated as Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #900 in 2008.