In 1929, William Fox announced his intention to build a movie theatre in the rapidly growing university area of Westwood Village. The theatre opened as the Fox Westwood Village in the summer of 1931.
The theatre's Mediterranean design reflected the area's prevailing style of architecture. The UCLA colors of blue and gold were used in the building's lighting and decorative elements.
The stage curtain depicting college coeds in classical dance formations and school sports further emphasized the university connection. The foyer originally featured murals depicting the California Gold Rush.
The building's soaring "wedding cake" tower, with chimera guards facing each direction, dominated the neighborhood skyline and can be seen from Wilshire Boulevard. Although remodeled a number of times, it retains its classic Art Deco style.
Mann Theatres took over this and the nearby Bruin Theatres in 1973; Regency Theatres assumed operation of both venues in 2010.