Learn more about the issue, and feel free to use any of these resources in your own efforts to raise awareness and build support for Wyvernwood’s preservation. If you have, or know of, other resources, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 623-2489.
- Blogs and Websites
- Original 1939 Promotional Brochure
- The Complete Wyvernwood Series Blog
- Wyvernwood in the News
To see why Wyvernwood is so well loved and why people are working so hard to save their community, the Conservancy is pleased to premiere a new 4-minute video. This piece captures the qualities that make Wyvernwood special and irreplaceable, things that cannot be replicated or simply transported to the proposed development. Watch the film and help us by sharing it with your friends!
We Are Wyvernwood
We Are Wyvernwood conveys the rich history and strong community of Wyvernwood Garden Apartments.
Residents of Wyvernwood provided most of the footage for the video through a project with the Conservancy and the Los Angeles Media Collective, funded by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Blogs and Websites
- Streetsblog LA - Op/Ed: Saving Wyvernwood is the Environmental Choice, April 17, 2013
- Blog post by Councilmember José Huizar, March 31, 2011
- Wyvernwood: Este lugar es importante (This Place Matters), March 8, 2010, by former Conservancy staffer Karina Muñiz, (National Trust for Historic Preservation)
- ¡Somos Wyvernwood! (resident group El Comité de la Esperanza, Committee of Hope)
- "Save Wyvernwood" page on Facebook
Original 1939 Promotional Brochure: Life in Wyvernwood
Read Wyvernwood’s original 1939 brochure to learn more about the site's innovative planning and layout. Courtesy Nathan Marsak.
Life in Wyvernwood brochure, 1939 (PDF file)
The Complete Wyvernwood Series Blog
For much more information about Wyvernwood's history and development, see the wonderful blog series by Village Green resident Steven Keylon.
- The Complete Wyvernwood Series (main page)
- Introduction: Garden Cities at Risk
- Chapter One: Clarence Stein 101
- Chapter Two: The Wyvernwood Architects - Witmer & Watson
- Chapter Three: Hammond Sadler, Wyvernwood Landscape Architect
- Chapter Four: Wyvernwood and the "Hostetter Tract"
- Chapter Five: Creation of a Garden City
- Chapter Six: "Community of Rental Homes in Park Opens Today"
Wyvernwood in the News
- Clash Over Garden Apartments in Los Angeles, Planetizen, January 3, 2016
- The Fight to Save Wyvernwood, L.A.'s First Large-Scale Garden Apartment, National Trust for Historic Preservation, December 9, 2015
- Hundreds march to save Wyvernwood on May Day, Boyle Heights Beat, May 2, 2013
- Eastside councilman against $2-billion plan to raze sprawling Boyle Heights apartment complex, Los Angeles Times, March 31, 2011
- Wyvernwood Residents: This Place Matters, EGP News, December 10, 2009
- Residentes de Wyvernwood: Este Lugar es Importante (Same article en Español - EGP)
- For garden complex in Boyle Heights, a season of change, Los Angeles Times, December 5, 2009