American Marine Corporation (Los Angeles Yacht Club)
Built 1937 on its own pier extending into the east side of Fish Harbor, this site housed the Los Angeles Yacht Club until 1993. The Yacht Club was the longest-operating recreational facility on Terminal Island. It also provided a historical link to the late nineteenth century, when a small portion of the island’s south side, then known as Brighton Beach, served as a popular tourist destination with hotels, bathhouses, and a boardwalk.
The property included a clubhouse with three detached garages and a floating dock. In the tradition of yacht clubs in other portside cities in the United States, it served as a social space, clubhouse, and boat-mooring facility for its members.
In 1993, the Los Angeles Yacht Club relocated to Cabrillo Marina in San Pedro. That same year, the newly founded American Marine Corporation adapted the property for use as a marine contracting facility. The clubhouse served as office space, with the garages used as support facilities. The original floating dock on Fish Harbor was removed.
The Marine Corporation still operates at the site.