Calpet Super Station (Demolished) | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo from B' Hend & Kaufmann Archives/L.A. Conservancy

Calpet Super Station (Demolished)

For a brief time, the Calpet station just west of Vermont was the most stylish place on the boulevard to fill up your gas tank. 

The station itself was architecturally distinct, with a Moorish-domed cashier's hall and a ladies lounge furnished tastefully with Venetian mirrors, cozy rockers, and settees.

On opening weekend in 1927, customers streamed in to the accompaniment of an orchestra and were greeted by film stars including Buster Keaton and Norma Talmadge.

Calpet Girls greeted customers in Tunisian costume, and male station attendants pumped gas in white shirts, bow ties, and maroon jackets with puttees and breeches.

Texaco soon took over Calpet. An office building now occupies the site.

Image courtesy of Vibiana | Redbird.

Vibiana | Redbird

The effort to save the Cathedral of St. Vibiana was a defining moment for Los Angeles preservation. Its creative adaptive reuse solution continues to serve as a model for projects across the region.
Photo from L.A. Conservancy archives

Lincoln Theatre

Opened in 1927, the Lincoln Theatre is the last remaining theatre in Los Angeles that catered specifically to the African American community.