Beverly Hills Waterworks Building / Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study
The former Beverly Hills Waterworks Building, now the Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study, played an important role in maintaining Beverly Hills’ cityhood despite earlier pressure to consolidate with Los Angeles for a steady water supply.
Completed in 1928 as Beverly Hills’ water treatment plant, the structure was designed by civil engineer Arthur Taylor, of Salisbury, Bradshaw & Taylor, in the form of a Romanesque-influenced church. What appeared to be a soaring bell tower of Moorish design was in fact used to house the water purification spraying system.
The true industrial nature of the building was only evident upon closer inspection, with machinery visible through the great rose window above the main entrance. Along with a carefully devised landscaping plan, the property resembled a beautiful park.
The Waterworks was one of the largest of Beverly Hills’ civic buildings at the time of its construction and was considered an innovative engineering marvel on the West Coast. Many referred the building as Beverly Hills’ Independence Hall for the role it played in allowing the city, with its own water source, to remain independent of Los Angeles.
The Waterworks Building served as Beverly Hills’ water treatment plant until 1976. Though proposed for demolition in the 1980s, the distinctive building was adaptively reused in 1991 by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as a library and film archive. It is known today as the Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study.