Chateau Colline | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Larry Underhill

Chateau Colline

Chateau Colline is one of the last remaining apartment buildings in the Westwood section of Wilshire Boulevard constructed before World War II.

The Janss Investment Company developed Westwood in several phases beginning in 1922 and sold nearly 400 acres that would become the new campus of UCLA. Local architects recruited to design prominent buildings in Westwood Village were also popular choices for surrounding apartment buildings. Percy Parke Lewis, who also designed the Fox Westwood Village Theatre, designed Chateau Colline, an eight-unit Chateauesque-style apartment house.

The building is clad in stucco and features details derived from sixteenth-century French chateaux, such as round corner towers, leaded-glass windows, and turrets decorated with patterned brickwork. The Conservancy holds a façade easement on the property, which protects the building's historic exterior.

Photo courtesy Heritage Housing Partners

Herkimer Arms

Built in 1912 as an eight-unit dwelling, the Herkimer Arms is the only surviving apartment building by master architects Charles and Henry Greene, and one of their few buildings with a gunite exterior.
Photo by David Deng/L.A. Conservancy

Saks Fifth Avenue

Three major architects collaborated on the store's first SoCal location.