Farmers Insurance Building
This grand Moderne structure was constructed as a three-story office building in 1937 to house the Farmers Automobile Inter-Insurance Exchange and Truck Insurance Exchange.
Known today as Farmers Insurance Group, the company was created in 1927 by John Tyler and Thomas Leavy, who believed that lower-risk drivers shouldn't have to pay as much for their auto insurance. People from farms and small towns like themselves, they noted, tended to drive more safely.
Architects Claud Beelman and Herman Spackler added four floors to the building in 1949. In addition to space for more employees, the enlarged building contained a cafeteria, restaurant, and seventh-floor garden terrace for staff.
The building's exterior is eclectic in its styling. The classical ornament perched high above the entrance recalls the earlier tradition of pairing classical-inspired architecture with financial institutions.
The building was sold to CIM Group in 2014 while the Farmers Insurance Group began to move their headquarters to Warner Center. CIM intends to rehabilitate the historic building and construct a new residential development on the adjacent lots.