Flower Drive Historic District
This highly intact collection of nineteen, two-story apartment buildings was constructed during the 1920s in a mix of Mediterranean Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival styles.
Located along two blocks on the west side of Flower Drive, between W. 38th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, the district directly faces the Harbor Freeway (which necessitated removal of the east side of the street). The opposite side of the block is bound by Figueroa Street, which borders Exposition Park, the LA Memorial Coliseum, and the new Banc of California Stadium.
This grouping of nineteen multi-family dwellings was first identified as a potential historic district through a Community Redevelopment Agency survey.
The local advocacy group West Adams Heritage Association subsequently nominated the district to the California Register. The Flower Drive California Register Historic District received a formal determination of eligibility for listing in the California Register of Historical Resources by the State Historical Resources Commission on July 25, 2008.
The district is significant as a notable concentration of Period Revival style multi-family residences from the 1920s.
The multi-family dwellings in the District are a building type commonly referred to as a fourplex, a four-unit building that typically features a rectangular plan with four separate entrances located at ground level in a symmetrical arrangement on the main, street-facing façade.
Comprising two blocks of multi-family dwellings constructed between 1920 and 1927 that are highly consistent in size, massing, orientation, building type, and architectural style, the District was found to meet California Register Criteria 1 and 3 as a significant collection of historic fourplexes from the 1920s and for the cohesive designs of the Period Revival architectural styles.
The District is notable for its very high percentage of contributing structures spanning two city blocks: seventeen contributors out of nineteen total structures, or nearly ninety percent. The northern portion of the District located on the 3800 block of S. Flower Drive contains eleven structures: ten contributors and one non-contributor. The southern portion of the District located on the 3900 block of S. Flower Drive contains eight structures: seven contributors and one non-contributor.
In 2008 the historiuc district was listed in the California Register of Historical Resources.