William Randolph Hearst commissioned Julia Morgan to design the Examiner building in 1913 to house his sixth newspaper, the Los Angeles Examiner.
Morgan was California’s first licensed female architect and one of the most influential architects in the state. The Examiner building was the first large-scale project she would design for Hearst – Morgan’s other works commissioned by Hearst include Hearst Castle in San Simeon and Marion Davies’ Estate in Santa Monica (now Annenburg Community Beach House at Santa Monica State Beach).
Morgan designed the Herald-Examiner building in the Mission Revival style of architecture popular throughout Southern California in the early twentieth century. Located at the southwest corner of Broadway and 11th Streets in downtown Los Angeles, the building's red tile roof and blue and yellow tiled domes make it a visible neighborhood landmark.
The last issue of the paper was printed in 1989, and for many years the building was used as a filming location. It is currently undergoing renovation to convert the building to a mixed-use space with creative office, retail, and restaurant spaces.