Los Angeles National Cemetery | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Los Angeles National Cemetery

Los Angeles National Cemetery came into use in May 1889, when Abner Prather, a Civil War veteran with the Fourth Indiana Infantry, died at the adjacent National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (now Veterans Affairs).

Since then, more than 85,000 veterans and family members have been interred, including fourteen recipients of the Medal of Honor.

About half the acreage is covered with upright marble gravestones, the rest with markers that lie flat in the ground. In the oldest section at the north end, some original nineteenth-century grave markers still remain.

The small Spanish Colonial Revival Bob Hope Chapel was built in 1938 and named for the late actor in 2002. The grounds are often used by Hollywood as a stand-in for Arlington National Cemetery.

Photo courtesy Architectural Resources Group

One Park Plaza

An excellent example of the glass skin system the architect developed with Cesar Pelli, it featured a non-loadbearing glass membrane with reversed mullions that served to set designs free from the constrictions of the vertical "box."
Queen Anne Cottage at the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden. Photo courtesy Historic Resources Group.

Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden

The Arboretum's Cultural Landscape Report and Treatment Plan provides a vital guide for caring for the wide range of resources on this historic site.
Photo by Richard Langendorf

Barclay Hotel

The Van Nuys Hotel was one of the finest hotels in Los Angeles upon opening, and the first to provide telephone and electric service to every room.