Mendel and Mabel Meyer Courtyard Apartments | Los Angeles Conservancy
Courtesy of Steven Luftman

Mendel and Mabel Meyer Courtyard Apartments

Great news! The Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously on November 25 to designate the Mendel and Mabel Meyer Courtyard Apartments as a Historic-Cultural Monument (HCM). 

Residents nominated the property for designation after the new owner revealed plans to demolish the building and construct townhouses.  The Cultural Heritage Commission unanimously voted to recommend its designation in September and the nomination received strong support from Councilmember Paul Koretz, in whose district the property is located.  

 

 

Constructed between 1936 and 1939, the Mendel and Mabel Meyer Courtyard Apartments are an excellent example of multi-family residential building practices during the Great Depression. 

The Minimal Traditional style buildings, exhibiting elements of the Monterey Colonial Revival style, utilize an H-shaped site plan, with a communal courtyard in the center. The wooden structures, with stucco cladding on the first floors, feature shingled hipped roofs, wood casement windows, and wrought iron details. 

The two buildings are stylistically and functionally related, but not identical. 118 N. Flores, which was constructed after 124 N. Flores, featured a simplified design with modern accents. 

Mendel Meyer, one of Los Angeles' most prolific builders, owned and developed the properties and lived there with his wife, Mabel, for nearly twenty years. His firm, Meyer and Holler, is listed as the contractor. 

Using the design-build model, Meyer and Holler were responsible for some of Los Angeles' most iconic buildings, including Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the Egyptian Theatre, Charlie Chaplin Studios, and the Getty House.

The N. Flores Street courtyard apartments reflect the firm's more modest undertakings during the Great Depression. Though the noteworthy commissions stalled, Meyer and Holler continued to design high quality projects that provided much-needed housing to the masses. 

Photo courtesy Heritage Housing Partners

Herkimer Arms

Built in 1912 as an eight-unit dwelling, the Herkimer Arms is the only surviving apartment building by master architects Charles and Henry Greene, and one of their few buildings with a gunite exterior.
Photo by Laura Dominguez/L.A. Conservancy

Samuel-Novarro Residence

During the 1930s, gay silent film star Ramon Novarro lived in this dramatic Lloyd Wright-designed hillside residence.
Photo by Laura Dominguez/L.A. Conservancy

Daughters of Bilitis

The L.A. chapter of the Daughters of Bilitis was responsible for bringing greater visibility to the experiences of lesbians during the 1950s and '60s.