It Taix a Village: Saving A Legacy Business and Place
In May 2020, the new owners of Taix unveiled new project plans that call for the demolition of the existing Taix building. As proposed, a six-story housing development with 170 apartments (86% market rate) and a 220-space parking garage will replace the current building and surface parking lot. Ground-floor retail is offered included a small space where the Taix restaurant operation might reopen.
The Conservancy had been in communication with the owner of the restaurant and representatives from the new owner seeking to redevelop the site for some time. However, we were not a part of the latest planning process and proposed project design.
Taix is an important legacy business in L.A. The challenge is how to provide new housing without losing the authentic and real Taix that so many Angelenos know and love—a place they are tied to through personal experiences.
We do not think it’s an either/or scenario, such as provide housing or preserve this legacy business. Through creative design and compromise both are possible to achieve a result that everyone can celebrate.
We believe there should be a way to design sensitive infill construction in a manner that incorporates the Taix building through meaningful preservation and continued use, whereby the old and new work together in a thoughtful, compatible design. Compromise is likely needed on both sides, through a partial preservation approach and a reduction in scale of the proposed new project.
The descendants of sheepherders and bakers from the “Hautes-Alpes” in southeastern France, the Taix Family immigrated to Los Angeles around 1870.
Marius Taix Sr. built a hotel called the Champ d’Or in downtown Los Angeles’ French Quarter in 1912. In 1927, his son Marius Jr. opened Taix French restaurant within the hotel, serving chicken dinners for fifty cents at long “family-style” tables. Diners could choose private booth service for an extra quarter. Taix’s French cooking, unique service, and affordable prices made it a Los Angeles institution.
On July 31, 2012 the Los Angeles City Council adopted a motion naming the intersection of West Sunset Boulevard and Park Avenue as "Taix Square."
The present location on Sunset Boulevard opened in 1962. Family-style service has given way to private booths, though Taix remains faithful to the famed tureen of soup, fresh French bread, and abundant portions at affordable prices.
The restaurant dynasty is carried on by Marius’ son, Raymond Taix, who has ensured that the character of the restaurant has remained unchanged, and his son Michael, whose passion for wines has resulted in an award-winning wine selection. Some of Taix’s employees have been with the restaurant for over forty years.
As a legacy business, Taix has been identified as a historic resource by SurveyLA.