Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
This club has played a vital role in Santa Monica life for over a century.
Founded in 1905, the Santa Monica Bay Woman's Club was a formidable social institution in the history of Santa Monica.
Among its organizers was the wife of the city's co-founder, Senator John P. Jones. The purchase of the site was possible due to a donation by Arcadia Bandini de Baker, wife of the city's other founder, Col. Robert S. Baker.
Since the Classical Revival-style building's completion in 1914, the Woman's Club has hosted countless balls, concerts, charity events, and bridge games.
A tiled hip roof, decorated frieze, and wide main entranceway with stained glass over the doors suggest the demure restraint of the building's design. The main auditorium and ballrooms remain largely intact and are popular filming locations.
The club's membership reached its heyday in the 1950s but declined in subsequent decades. Of late, new members have begun to reinvigorate the club and make plans for preserving its historic resources.