Asbury Apartments | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Adriene Biondo

Asbury Apartments

Originally to be named the San Jacinto Dwellings, these luxury residences with commanding views of Westlake (now MacArthur) Park were regarded as ultra-exclusive when the building opened in 1925.

Units were sold individually in what was termed the "own-your-own" plan, the building was electrically operated throughout, and it contained a parking garage accessible by elevator -- quite rare at the time.

A balcony extends along the fourth floor of the building, and the upper portion of the fire escape shaft facing Sixth Street is embellished with a semi-circular balcony and elaborate Churrigueresque detailing.

The two rooftop signs, advertising "Asbury" in neon, are visible for several blocks and were restored by the city's LUMENS program (Living Urban Museum of Electric and Neon Signs).

Photo by Marcello Vavala/Los Angeles Conservancy

Bob Hope Patriotic Hall

This highly visible monument to U.S. military veterans enjoys new life serving those who have served our country.
Junipero Serra State Office Building
Photo courtesy Nadel Architects

Junipero Serra State Office Building

Arthur T. Letts established his new business in a rented space at the corner of Fourth Street and Broadway, eventually expanding the company, The Broadway Department Store, into California's largest retail establishment of the era.