The Beverly Hilton | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo courtesy Beverly Hilton Hotel

The Beverly Hilton

The intersection of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards is graced with the crisp lines of this mid-century luxury hotel.

Painted a familiar shade of Welton Becket's favored color, marshmallow white, the building was called the "western White House" by President John F. Kennedy.

Its 570 rooms and enormous International Ballroom have welcomed many celebrities to events including the Golden Globe Awards and Academy Award nominee luncheon.

Although the private balconies were originally divided by brightly colored panels, the building's exterior remains fairly intact. In 2007, the historic Tiki bar Trader Vic's was closed and reopened as a poolside lounge. 

Los Angeles Public Library, Canoga Park Branch (former)
Photo courtesy Architectural Resources Group

CDI Early Learning Center

A destination for readers and zigzag roof-lovers alike, the Canoga Park Library was the first Mid-Century Modern-style library to be named a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.
Photo courtesy Architectural Resources Group

Sheats Apartments

Completed in 1949, the building was designed by master architect John Lautner as eight units of student housing. Asymmetrically arranged shapes, from circular volumes to long, flat planes, step up the hill and around each other to form a strangely harmonious, abstractly futuristic, and truly organic-feeling whole.