Edinburgh Bungalow Court | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Edinburgh Bungalow Court

Built in 1923 at Edinburgh and Waring avenues in the Beverly Grove section of Los Angeles, Edinburgh Bungalow Court was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. Unapologetically modest in style, Edinburgh is like so many other bungalow courts built at the time, providing simple but much-needed affordable housing. For nearly a hundred years Edinburgh has been in service, providing a home to countless residents, many who initially came to L.A. to get their big break in Hollywood. 

Made up of four one-story residential buildings and one garage structure that form a U-shaped plan, each building contains two, one-bedroom apartments for a total of eight units. A shared central courtyard runs through the middle of the property. 

As of March 2020, Edinburgh Bungalow Court is in safe hands. A longtime Conservancy supporter teamed up with a historic renovator from The Prop Shop to purchase it and plan to preserve and rehabilitate for housing once again. Read the full story about the five-year effort on our blog.  

Have a favorite bungalow court or are you currently living in one? 

Increasingly endangered, bungalow courts and renters are protected from excessive rent hikes through the Rent Stabilization Ordinance, but few are protected from Ellis Act evictions and demolition. SurveyLA identified 410 bungalow courts not currently protected through a Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ) or other historic designation.

Conservatively bungalow courts represent more than 1,500 units of relatively affordable housing that we need to retain and protect.

 

On September 9, 2015, the developer withdrew the original plans that called for a more rigorous environmental review process, and the Department of Building and Safety reactivated the demolition permit. 

Amid public outcry and a protest at the site, the Department of City Planning initiated an HCM application on September 11, 2015 before demolition had begun, and the permit was frozen once more. 

Despite its designation and Historic-Cultural Monument (HCM) status in 2016, the Edinburgh Bungalow Court remained threatened with neglect and proposed demolition. 

Completed in 1923, the Edinburgh Bungalow Court is an excellent example of early twentieth century multi-family residential development. Though the architect and/or builder are unknown, the Spanish Colonial Revival property responded to the need for new housing in Los Angeles as settlement patterns pushed westward, and it reflects high quality workmanship. 

The one-story residential units are situated around a central courtyard, featuring a distinctive arched entryway reminiscent of the Mission Revival style. The stucco-clad buildings are distinguished by flat roofs (with clay tile detailing), arched doorways, and wood-framed windows. 

The Edinburgh Bungalow Court is also closely associated with the rise of Hollywood. This type of development expanded significantly during the 1920s and 1930s to accommodate people who worked in the nearby entertainment industry.

Inside B. Black & Sons. Photo by George Geary.

B. Black & Sons

Fourth-generation family-owned and operated fabric business in the Los Angeles Garment District since 1922.