Immanuel Presbyterian Church | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Kent Kanouse on Flickr

Immanuel Presbyterian Church

Modeled after French Gothic cathedrals, this stately church houses a congregation that dates to 1888 and today serves nearby Latinx, Filipino, Korean, and Ethiopian communities.

The building's stone-clad corner tower soars 205 feet above Wilshire, supported by a steel frame that allows for a strikingly spacious interior. The richly textured main sanctuary features intricately carved woodwork and stenciled vaulted ceilings.

The vast array of traditional stained-glass windows were created by the Dixon Art Glass Company of Los Angeles. They are in marked contrast to the modern faceted glass windows in the Westminster Chapel by Judson Studios of Highland Park.

Downtown Women’s Center
Photo by Randall Michelson, Courtesy Pica + Sullivan Architects, Ltd.

Downtown Women’s Center

After years of languishing, what William Douglas Lee had designed for a shoe company gained new life as the Downtown Women's Center, earning a Conservancy Preservation Award.