La Fonda Restaurant | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Larry Underhill

La Fonda Restaurant

The two-story building that houses La Fonda restaurant is a prime example of the Spanish Churrigueresque style practiced in the mid-1920s by the firm of Morgan, Walls and Clements and perfected by its chief designer, Stiles O. Clements.

The building was designated as a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument in 1983.

Several popular Wilshire restaurants have occupied the space, notably the Cafe Opera in the 1930s and '40s and the Vagabond's House later. La Fonda opened in 1969 as a venue for mariachi music. After being open for nearly forty years, La Fonda closed in 2007. The restaurant reopened in 2016, and it once again regularly offers live mariachi music.

The building's second floor has been beautifully rehabbed into entertainment production space. 

Photo by Adrian Scott Fine / L.A. Conservancy

The Factory

The 1929 Factory building embodies a number of significant historical patterns in West Hollywood, from the development of the entertainment industry to the rise of nightlife visibly catering to the gay community.
Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Al Larson Boat Shop Complex

The Al Larson Boat Shop (ALBS) is among the longest-running businesses at the Port of Los Angeles, and one of the few remaining that relate to its rich tradition of shipbuilding and repair.