Westwood Medical Plaza | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Tom Davies

Westwood Medical Plaza

One of Paul R. Williams' last commissions is the Linde Medical Center, a twelve-story high-rise that would help alter the skyline and the flavor of the southern gateway to Westwood Village.

In the two years of the center's construction (1960-62), numerous other Corporate Modern buildings were being completed along Wilshire Boulevard from MacArthur Park to Westwood, for companies such as the American Cement Company, IBM, Texaco, Tishman, and Occidental Petroleum.

The medical center, which included commercial space on the ground floor, was originally faced in aqua-blue mosaic tiles. White vertical lines dividing the panels made the building appear taller than it was.

The quirk of the building is the west side, which Williams purposely left without windows, guessing that visitors to the medical center would rather not have a view of the National Cemetery. Today, the lucrative wall sports huge billboard advertisements instead.

Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Barlow Respiratory Hospital

A twenty-five acre hillside campus with thirty-two separate historic buildings dating from 1902 to 1952, mostly in the Craftsman and Spanish Colonial Revival styles.
Photo from Conservancy archives

Commonwealth Savings Building (Demolished)

Long recognized as an important example of mid-century office design, Gerald Bense's design was one of the first high-rise commercial structures built in the San Fernando Valley.
Home Federal Savings/Pacific Mercantile Bank Building
Photo courtesy Architectural Resources Group

Home Federal Savings/Pacific Mercantile Bank Building

A striking tower of stacked white arches with trailing greenery representing an important step in Edward Durell Stone's re-visioning of historical Classical, Moorish, and Indo-Islamic styles through a Modern lens.