Viewpoint (Bullock’s House)
Located on the Palm Crest Elementary School campus in La Cañada Flintridge, Viewpoint is a rare example of a La Cañada mountain retreat owned by John G. Bullock.
Constructed in 1922-23 as a primary residence for Geologist Bert Chester Morrison, Morrison sold Viewpoint to John G. Bullock and his wife Louise in 1925. Bullock, the founder of Bullock's department store, used the property as a family retreat from their Hancock Park residence. From 1925 until his death in 1933, Bullock used the property often. It was during this time that he opened his first and second stores. After his death in 1933, the Bullock family continued to use the property to vacation and entertain.
In 1955, the La Cañada Unified School District (LCUSD) obtained the property through eminent domain. Since the acquisition, Viewpoint has remained on the Campus of Palm Crest Elementary School.
Viewpoint is significant as a rare example of the mountain retreats of La Cañada's Alta Canyada period. At that time the area was known for its summer retreat properties owned by wealthy Angelenos. Largely intact, Viewpoint retains nearly all of its character-defining features including the large Bacheldor tile fireplace and ornate iron gate constructed by master craftsman Jim Huntington prior to Viewpoint's construction.
Bob and Dolores Hope Estate
Beverly Hills Waterworks Building / Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study