El Rey Theatre | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Hunter Kerhart

El Rey Theatre

This beloved Miracle Mile landmark combines Art Deco and Streamline Moderne styles and retains many original design elements, including its lobby, façade, terrazzo, and brilliant neon sign. The box office might have been recreated.

The El Rey began its life as an independent neighborhood theatre. With a succession of owners and tenants over the decades, the theatre has run the gamut from hosting spiritual services to showing adult films. It stopped showing movies in the 1980s.

The Los Angeles Conservancy supported efforts through the 1980s to revive the building as a theatre and restaurant.

After a few years under the name "Wall Street," then several more as a Russian restaurant/banquet hall, the El Rey became a successful nightclub and music venue in 1994.

Earl Carroll Theatre, now Nickelodeon Studios. Photo by Laura Dominguez/L.A. Conservancy

Earl Carroll Theatre

Designed by master architect Gordon B. Kaufmann, the Earl Carroll Theatre exemplifies the optimism and grandeur of pre-war Hollywood.
Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Pantages Theatre

The 1930 Pantages Theatre can hold claim to two “lasts”: the last movie palace to be built in Hollywood and the last venue erected by vaudeville circuit owner, Alexander Pantages. Designed by B. Marcus Priteca at the epitome of the Art Deco era, from sidewalk to stage, the Pantages dazzles theater-goers with chevrons, zigzags, starbrusts, and exotic figures.