Indonesian Consulate General Offices | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Larry Underhill

Indonesian Consulate General Offices

Now home to the consulate of Indonesia, this Art Deco building was designed as the headquarters and opulent showroom for custom-built luxury Auburn-Cord automobiles.

Owner E. L. Cord demanded polished marble floors, hardwood finishes, thirty-foot ceilings, and dramatic display windows facing onto Wilshire.

Upstairs were four levels of service departments reached by inside ramps. The top floor housed radio stations KFAC and KFVD, which had their broadcast antennas on the roof.

Cord later owned Century Airlines (precursor to American Airlines) and Checker Cab, as well as extensive Wilshire Boulevard frontage in the priciest section of Beverly Hills, where he built the Cordhaven estate. He left California abruptly in the 1950s for a new life as a rancher and politician in Nevada.

Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Pantages Theatre

The 1930 Pantages Theatre can hold claim to two “lasts”: the last movie palace to be built in Hollywood and the last venue erected by vaudeville circuit owner, Alexander Pantages. Designed by B. Marcus Priteca at the epitome of the Art Deco era, from sidewalk to stage, the Pantages dazzles theater-goers with chevrons, zigzags, starbrusts, and exotic figures.