Lincoln Park Gateway | Los Angeles Conservancy
Lincoln Park Gateway
Photo by Bill Lee

Lincoln Park Gateway

Though Lincoln Park dates from the late nineteenth century, its signature gateway was completed in 1933.

It was funded by a municipal bond measure designed to improve parks citywide and create work for the unemployed during the Great Depression. Voters had strongly supported the bond measure despite their own economic hardship, demonstrating a strong commitment to the welfare of Los Angeles and its citizens.

The gateway features curving walls, monumental pillars, and vibrantly colored tile benches and fountains. Its Progressive Era design exemplifies the Classical Moderne/Art Deco style of the period, with sweeping lines, stylized vertical forms, and zigzag motifs.

Photo by Jessica Hodgdon/L.A. Conservancy

Lankershim Depot

Closed for more than thirty years, one of the San Fernando Valley’s oldest buildings gained new life as a coffee shop.
Photo by Dale Zapata

Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center

Constructed as a monument to modern medicine, the original LAC+USC Medical Center reveals important stories about equity and public health in postwar Southern California.
Photo by Annie Laskey/L.A. Conservancy

The CalEdison

One of the first all-electrically heated and cooled buildings constructed in the western United States, this fourteen-story, steel-framed 1931 treasure follows a classically inspired Art Deco design.