NuWilshire Theatre | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by David Deng/Los Angeles Conservancy

NuWilshire Theatre

Described when it opened as being of Greek Moderne style, this architecturally modest theater presented stage and film productions, seating 1,500 all on one level. Major renovations took place in the 1960s and again when the theater was divided into two auditoriums in 1977. Although renamed the NuWilshire when taken over by Landmark Theaters, the neon sign still declares the building to be the Wilshire Theatre.

The site closed in November 2007. In 2008, the theatre was unanimously voted by the Santa Monica Landmarks Commission to become a designated landmark, and the building's facade is to be unaltered no matter what the use of the building is in the future. The owner of the site intends to remodel the interior for retail use, though the space has yet to be leased.

Earl Carroll Theatre, now Nickelodeon Studios. Photo by Laura Dominguez/L.A. Conservancy

Earl Carroll Theatre

Designed by master architect Gordon B. Kaufmann, the Earl Carroll Theatre exemplifies the optimism and grandeur of pre-war Hollywood.
Photo by Laura Dominguez/L.A. Conservancy

Crossroads of the World

Completed in 1936, Crossroads of the World was one of the first outdoor shopping centers in the country.