Pan-Pacific Fisheries Cannery
When completed in 1946, the Pan-Pacific Fisheries Cannery was the most modern, state-of-the-art facility on Terminal Island. Pan-Pacific consists of two buildings, a processing plant and a warehouse, spanning the entire block bounded by Sardine, Barracuda, Bass, and Ways Streets.
Although the buildings suffer from deferred maintenance, they remain highly intact. With its original interior layout and even much of the original equipment remaining, this site is a rare surviving example of a cannery that still conveys its initial purpose and operations. It tells the story of the transformation of raw fish from the wharf to canned product shipped out via truck or rail.
Pan-Pacific is a highly rare, intact site that exemplifies the postwar expansion of canneries in the Fish Harbor area of Terminal Island.