Saks Fifth Avenue | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by David Deng/L.A. Conservancy

Saks Fifth Avenue

This building was a collaboration between three major L.A. architects: Paul R. Williams, John Parkinson, and Parkinson's son, Donald.

The prominent Saks Fifth Avenue in New York chose Wilshire Boulevard for its first Southern California location.

The Parkinsons, who designed the Art Deco Bullock's Wilshire building in Wilshire Center, completed the original design for the Saks Fifth Avenue exterior.

Williams polished the basic look and styled the interior. Williams gave Saks the feel of an expensive mansion and designed each area to be semi-enclosed, minimizing distraction for customers.

The rooms were bathed in soft luxury, lit with a mix of indirect lamps and small hidden floodlights aimed at the clothes, an unusual tactic for a department store. For a time, Perino's operated a rooftop restaurant for shoppers.

Junipero Serra State Office Building
Photo courtesy Nadel Architects

Junipero Serra State Office Building

Arthur T. Letts established his new business in a rented space at the corner of Fourth Street and Broadway, eventually expanding the company, The Broadway Department Store, into California's largest retail establishment of the era.
Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Barlow Respiratory Hospital

A twenty-five acre hillside campus with thirty-two separate historic buildings dating from 1902 to 1952, mostly in the Craftsman and Spanish Colonial Revival styles.