Sterling Plaza | Los Angeles Conservancy
Photo by Hunter Kerhart

Sterling Plaza

The Parkinsons' wedding-cake design for California Bank introduced some Art Deco playfulness to the then-sedate stretch of Wilshire through Beverly Hills.

The building opened the same year as the Parkinsons' Art Deco masterpiece, Bullock's Wilshire, to the east in Wilshire Center.

Eastside Market Italian Deli's Angiuli Family. Photo by Eastside Market Italian Deli.

Eastside Market Italian Deli

One of the last remaining businesses in L.A.'s once thriving Little Italy, still making some of the best sandwiches in town!
Photo by Andrew Leeson

Apple Tower Theatre

The Tower Theatre opened in 1927 and was the first theatre designed by renowned theatre architect S. Charles Lee. The creative designer fit 900 seats and ground floor retail onto a tiny corner lot. In June 2021, the Tower Theatre was adaptively reused and reopened as a new Apple store.
Photo by Adrian Scott Fine/L.A. Conservancy

Eastern Columbia Lofts

From its spectacular clock tower emblazoned with the name Eastern in neon down to its multi-colored terrazzo sidewalks, this 1930 downtown landmark was one of the largest buildings constructed in downtown until after WWII.