Edward A.D. Christopher Residence
Constructed for a local fruit farmer, the Christopher Residence is one of the oldest remaining homes in Studio City.
The Edward A. D. Christopher Residence was constructed about 1908 in what was then unincorporated Los Angeles County territory in the predominantly agricultural San Fernando Valley.
It is a rare, surviving example of a pre-annexation single-family residence in the San Fernando Valley and may be the oldest extant house in Studio City. The City of Los Angeles annexed the San Fernando Valley in 1915.
The property was developed circa 1908 by Edward A. D. Christopher and his wife Clara as a fruit ranch, and the Christopher Residence is a rare, surviving example of a house associated with one of the small gentlemen farms operating independently throughout the former Lankershim Ranch Land and Water Company property.
The one-story house features an arroyo stone porch with a pair of tapered support piers and original double-hung, wood sash windows framed by distinctive, flared vertical trim that narrows as it tapers from the wider window sill to the top trim.
The citywide historic resources survey, SurveyLA, found the property eligible for listing in both the California Register of Historical Resources and as a local Historic-Cultural Monument as a rare example of early residential development in Studio City.